Educate yourself and talk to a doctor before you use home remedies for pinworms.
There is nothing altruistic about having pinworm infections. The infection is a nuisance. If you get infected, then I’d suggest looking for ways that you can treat or prevent re-infection. Other than a traditional medical treatment for pinworms, there are home remedies for pinworms that can be used. The treatment adapted will depend on the person, and their knowledge of how the remedy works. Although pinworms can cause mild problems, an infection can result in restlessness, intense itching and sleepless nights. This, therefore, calls for one to take the necessary steps to treat the infection. In addition to medication, there are some homemade remedies for pinworms that are effective in treating and preventing pinworms. Knowing these remedies go a long way in helping a person deal with pinworm problems.
Natural Home Remedies for Pinworms
There are various remedies that can be used to treat and even prevent the spread of pinworms in kids and adults. These home remedies range from herbal products to general cleanliness. I’d recommend consulting a doctor before you set out to use any form of home remedy for pinworm. You don’t want to use remedies that may end up causing more harm than good. This article focuses on providing information on the various remedies that you can try out for yourself.
- Pumpkin seeds are effective in getting rid of pinworms. These seeds contain extracts that expel pinworms from the intestinal tract where they live. As a home remedy, take 1oz of the seeds on a daily basis.
- Garlic is an effective home remedy for pinworms. This form of remedy is used differently to treat and prevent pinworm infections. One of the ways is to ingest fresh garlic cloves on a daily basis. Also, when cooking, use a lot of garlic in your meals.
- The other way is to make cream which consists of garlic and applying it on the anal area. Here, grind several cloves of garlic into a paste and mix with Vaseline jelly. Then you can apply it around the anal region. This not only kills the pinworm eggs, but also relieves the itching.
- Wormwood is also an effective home remedy too. Its active ingredients include isothujone, thujone and santotin, which are chemicals known to kill worms. It functions by weakening the worms and in the end killing them. Prepare tea and add ¼ teaspoon of wormwood and drink the tea. This should be done in intervals of three hours.
- Papaya seeds are also effective in treating pinworm infections. Chew the seeds once in a while. However, the spice is very strong and not advisable for children. You can also eat papaya fruit if the seeds are too spicy for you.
- Ginger is among the most effective home remedies for pinworms. When using ginger, you can chew it raw, or take ginger supplements. It is also recommended to add ginger in every meal until the pinworm infection clears.
- Grapefruit extracts are effective remedies in treating various conditions. Lucky for us, this includes treating pinworm infestation. The extract can be bought in the form of a tablet or liquid. With the tablets, take them three times a day. When using the liquid form of grapefruit extract, add ten drops to a glass of water and take it three times a day.
- Turmeric is also effective in treating and preventing pinworm infections. The turmeric powder can be added to a variety of dishes. It contains ingredients that kill pinworms.
- Taking curled mint tincture three times a day is effective in getting rid of pinworms as well. Tincture contains anti-parasitic properties, which is obviously going to be effective in treating pinworm infections.
Taking Preventative Measures
Up until now, we’ve been discussing natural treatments for pinworms. If there are no changes or improvements while using home remedies, I would highly recommend a consultation with a doctor.
Other forms of home remedies for pinworms include general cleanliness and observing hygiene, which would include some of the following ideas:
- Ensure to keep your fingernails short. This applies to both adults and children. The pinworm eggs collect under the fingernails and spread through contact. Short fingernails minimize chances of spreading the pinworm eggs. Also, avoid biting your nails as well, since this would directly put any eggs right into your mouth.
- When itching, instead of scratching, take a shallow bath in order to relieve the itchiness.
- Before handling any food, ensure to clean your hands thoroughly. The food, especially fruits and leafy vegetables, should be thoroughly cleaned as well. Doing this will get rid of the pinworm eggs that may potentially be present on the hands and your food.
- Another home remedy for pinworms is to make sure that the bathing areas are clean. The pinworm eggs are light and can easily be lifted to areas where people tend to touch the most such as door knobs and tap openers.
Home remedies for pinworms infestation have been there for a long time even in traditional days, and they have proved to be effective. Before using any home remedies for pinworms, especially natural or herbal extracts, make sure that you consult a doctor.